Wednesday, March 11, 2009

why reuse?

When I first got started in waste reduction, I soon heard of this hierarchy of the three R’s. If you’re also in waste reduction, you probably already know what I mean by that. For those that aren’t, the three R’s are “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.” The hierarchy pertains to the fact that it’s better to reduce your consumption (not make waste in the first place) than it is to reuse or recycle and it’s better to reuse something than to just recycle it. Shortly after I heard about the hierarchy, I heard the term, “Reduce, Reuse, then Recycle” encouraging people to do the “higher use”

Anyone who knows me has probably heard me say I don’t consider myself a very creative person. I don’t have much talent for creating something from nothing. However, I know other people are incredibly talented in this way and my talents lie in talking about other people’s work. To that end, I wanted to create a blog focused on creative reuse of objects that normally would have either been (hopefully) recycled or (unfortunately) landfilled. My hope is that readers of this blog will send in innovative (re)uses for items and I can share them with all. So, if you have a project you’re particularly proud of and would like to share, please email it to me. (Please include photos as we all like pretty pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails