Most of the headbands I've been creating are made from t-shirts. I stopped at a rummage sale a few months ago and the clothes were a buck a bag. (My favorite find was a vintage apron. I LOVE aprons, but I digress...) They didn't have a ton of fun t-shirts, but I found enough shirts to make a dollar bag of clothes totally worth it. A lot of the other items I picked were much too small for me. I picked up 2-3 shirts that I loved the fabric and figured if they didn't fit my colleague, I would make headbands out of them. (They fit Melissa, so she kept them-yay!) This skirt was originally an Extra Small. There's no way it was ever going to fit me, but it was a little long and I hoped that I would be able to chop off the top panel and make it fit. After some false starts, I'm happy to say I have successfully refashioned my first garment.
Enjoy the progression:
To see if this project might work and to gauge where to cut the small skirt, I used a skirt that currently fit and laid them together. After much fretting, I basically decided to just cut off the entire top panel.
|The blue skirt is the one that fits.|
|You can see the size labels in this photo.|
I'm not making this up! ;)
|Checking the size/length|
|Removing the lining.|
I had originally planned to try to replace
the lining, but it proved too difficult
for my amateur sewing skills.
Instead, I just wear bloomers with the skirt
as it is quite transparent.
|Making the chop!|
|checking color of jersey material to mend lining|
(didn't end up using) This T was too white!
|Here, you can see the jersey that I ended up|
using. It's a much nicer color match.
The piece that was cut from the top of the skirt
is shown here. That section was eventually made
into a headband.
|repairing the lining (where I had to cut around the zipper)|
|Too bad I didn't actually end up using the lining...|
|After I cut the top section off, I tried the skirt on|
to check it would go around me and to check the length.
|repairing a side rip. (The skirt |
was fine, but I was a little rough
on it and accidentally ripped near the side seam.)
|inside view of the repair|
|Once I threaded the elastic, this project really looked promising.|
|Sewed up the elastic and then hand-sewed the casing.|
Finally, here's a pic of me wearing the skirt and headband, from earlier today.
|I can't believe I changed the size of a skirt from an XS to an XL!!!|