Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Shopping for eco-friendly products at Grocery Outlet

Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting a series of product reviews. I was approached by Grocery Outlet and given a gift card to buy products and review them. While Grocery Outlet did indeed send me the gift card, all the reviews are solely my work. I was not given any parameters beyond "shop at our store with the gift card and review whatever you buy" I was not told to give favorable reviews of any of the products (and indeed I won't be for all)



So what did I buy? First of all, lots! I shop at Grocery Outlet probably on average 2-4 times a month. The selection is always very...varied. There are certain staples that you can find there pretty much any time, (for example, meat, cheese, milk, butter and produce.) but everything else is a complete mixed bag. The one consistent thing is low prices. Because they seem to often have close out items from other stores, (they call themselves a "remarketer of excess inventories") their prices are usually very reasonable.


In the past, I have noticed a fair amount of organic products (or products with some other environmental claim) at Grocery Outlet. For this project, I did my shopping at the Hollywood district store in Portland, OR.

They have the largest selection of organic products of all the Grocery Outlet stores. In fact, when I first started shopping, I thought I was going to have to carefully search every aisle for products, but as I neared the end of the first aisle, the PA system informed me that this particular store had an entire aisle (pictured below) dedicated to organic/eco-friendly products. My shopping then got a lot easier!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails