Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dear Reuser #1

I've always wanted this blog to be a forum for answering questions from the public. Awhile ago, I got a few questions, but unfortunately got so swamped with work, I've been a bit behind with blog posts. Here's the first of what I hope to be many questions.

Dear Reuser,
I have a dead lightbulb and am wondering if I should throw it away or recycle it?

If the lightbulb is CFL(spiral) it needs to go to household hazardous waste (all flourescents contain a small amount of mercury to work and this can be recovered and used again if taken to the correct place.) If it's just a normal, standard bulb, you can just place this in your normal garbage. The glass that is used in incandescent light bulbs cannot be recycled with container glass-it's a different consistency and composition and can cause structural integrity issues in recycled glass containers. Therefore, it's best to just throw these away (at least for now.)

2 comments:

  1. i'm thrilled about this dear re-user idea. i can't tell you how many times robby and i say to each other: "i don't know...you should ask terra!"

    you are a wealth of knowledge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noa,

    Actually, funnily enough, that question came from Robby! :D I have another one from him that I just haven't gotten to yet. I love to answer questions. Bring 'em on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails